About our role-plays
This interactive activity allows students to experience the law-making process firsthand while they take on the roles of Speaker, Clerk, Serjeant-at-Arms, Premier, Leader of the Opposition and other members of Parliament. The role-play is conducted over 90 minutes and includes a short tour of Parliament House.
Our role-play sessions have been designed to align with the Victorian curriculum.
Role-play topics for grades 5/6
We have a number of different topics for role-plays that we will ask your students to vote on during the session.
Currently the topics are:
- E-scooters Bill
- Plastic Straws Bill
- Gambling Advertising Bill.
You can also prepare your own topic with your class by following these instructions:
Role-play topics for VCE Legal Studies
We use real bills that have been passed through the Parliament as case studies to show how the Parliament makes laws.
At the time of booking, you will be asked to choose one of the following bills:
- Crimes Amendment (Bullying) Bill 2011 (Brodie’s Law)
- Crimes Amendment (Sexual Offences and Other Matters) Bill 2014 (known as the Sexting Bill)*
- Voluntary Assisted Dying Bill 2017*
- Drugs, Poisons and Controlled Substances Amendment (Medically Supervised Injecting Centre) Bill 2017*.
*These bills are examples of law reform coming from a Parliamentary committee inquiry.
- Our programs are free of charge.
- Sessions are conducted twice daily Monday to Friday when the Parliament is not sitting. Scroll down to view Availability.
- Sessions run for 90 minutes and includes a short tour of the Parliament.
- Suitable for grade 5/6 and 11/12 VCE Legal Studies students.
- Maximum number of students per session is 30.
- You can book multiple sessions.
- Bookings open six months in advance during the last week of each month.
If you are in Metropolitan Melbourne, we can visit your school to run a role-play in the classroom. Visit our Metropolitan Melbourne school visits page for more information.
We also visit regional destinations and run our role-plays from a local venue. For more information on the locations we will be visiting this year, check out our regional visits schedule.
Bookings & Enquiries
Bookings are only open six months in advance at a time.
Click the button below and select Role Play (90 minutes / includes tour).
Make a booking
Once you have found your preferred dates and times, email your booking request to email@example.com with the following information:
- Role Play (90 minutes / includes tour)
- Selected date/s
- Number of students (up to 30 students per session)
- Class year level
- Role-play topic/bill (VCE Legal Studies students)
- School name and address
- Contact number for the booking
- Phone: (03) 9651 8569
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Our committment to child safety
For more information on our child safe policy, please click the button below.