Department of Her Majesty's Customs : report of the Board Appointed to Enquire into the Condition and Management of the Department of Her Majesty's Customs : with minutes of evidence and appendices
"Laid upon the Council table by the Commissioner of Trade and Customs by command of His Excellency the Officer Administering the Government and ordered by the Council to be printed 20th February 1856"
Board: James Henty (chairman), James McCulloch, H. D'Arch, Charles Bradshaw and Edward Grimes
Witnesses examined: P. R. Stevens (jerquer Customs Dept.), James Glen (inspector of imports and exports), Charles Baeyertz (chief clerk Customs Dept.), Donald Monro (warehousekeeper Customs Dept.), Robert Crosbie Dunn (registrar of shipping), Richard Down (inspector & landing surveyor Customs Dept.), Hugh Guthrie (senior landing waiter), Thomas Dryborough (landing surveyor Customs Dept.), Frederick McPherson (landing waiter), Robert McKay (tide inspector & landing surveyor Williamstown), John Guthrie (Collector of Customs Geelong), John Mullaly (ex chief clerk Customs Dept.), William Gedge (jerquer's office Customs Dept.), William Bayles (merchant Melbourne), Alfred Ross MLC (merchant Melbourne), William Wood Leslie (former employee Customs Dept.), James Caleb Alford (shipping clerk Westgarth Ross & Co.), Hugh C. E. Childers (Collector of Customs), William Hammill (Chairman Chamber of Commerce) and Levin Josephs (merchant Melbourne)
Includes: Remarks upon the Report of the Board Appointed to Enquire into the Management of the Department of Her Majesty's Customs by the Hon. the Commissioner of Trade and Customs (Hugh C. E. Childers).
Enclosure No. 2 comprises: Value of Imports and Exports for 1854 (NSW), No. and Tonnage of Vessels Entered Inwards and Outwards in 1854 (NSW) and Estimate in Detail of the Probable Expenditure of the Customs' Department for the Year 1855 (NSW) by J. Gibbes Collector of Customs.
Enclosure No. 4 comprises in part: Amount of Receipts and Disbursements by the Department of H.M. Customs (Victoria) from 1st January to 31st May 1855 Shewing the Per Centage Cost of Collection by P. R. Stevens Comptroller of Accounts.
Appendix A: Statements of duties of officers in the Indoor Dept. of the Dept. of Customs at Melbourne prepared by Hugh C. E. Childers, T. [i.e. F.] W. Howden, A[lexander] W[illiam] Musgrove, J[ohn] Chatfield Tyler, G. W. Lindsay, R[obert] N. Grigg, C. R. Stevens, D[onald] Munro, R[obert] C. Dunn (Registrar of Shipping), and James Glen.
Appendix B: Statements of duties of officers in the Outdoor Dept. of the Customs Dept. prepared by by H. C. E. Childers, W. M. Guthrie, D[avid] B. [i.e. R.] Farquhar & J[ames] MacFarlane [i.e. McFarlane], J. [i.e. Daniel] W. Gosset [i.e. Gossett], James Day, John S. Sprent, Richard Down, F. W. McPherson, John J. Anderson, P. B. Whanwell [i.e. Whannell], Peregrine B. Cumberland, James Wilson, James S. Law and George B. Wilkinson
Appendix C: Statements of duties of officers attached to the Hobson's Bay division of the Customs Dept. prepared by by Hugh C. E. Childers and W. Wright
Appendix E: Statements of duties of officers at Geelong prepared by Hugh C. E. Childers and J. Guthrie.
xxviii, 111p. ; 34cm.
- Progress report from the Royal Commission on the Marketing, Transportation and Storage of Grain : together with appendices, plates and minutes of evidence Published: (1913)
- Civil service : report of the Royal Commission appointed to enquire into the state of the public service and the working of the Civil Service Act : and generally to report such alterations and improvements in the organization of the service by way of reconstruction, consolidation, or otherwise as may appear calculated to conduce to economy in the public service without impairing the efficiency of the service : together with minutes of evidence and appendices Published: (1873)
- Report from the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Railways on the question of selecting localities for the permanent survey of narrow-gauge lines : together with the appendices and minutes of evidence Published: (1896)
- Report of the Royal Commission on Border Railways : together with copies of commissions, evidence , appendices and plan Published: (1916)
- Report of the Crown Lands Commission of Inquiry on Both the Agricultural and Pastoral Occupation of the Public Lands to be Instituted on the Expiration of the Present Land Act at the Close of 1880 (September 1879) : Appendix C. Schedule B. [Statistical return of territorial property in private hands in the colony of Victoria by name of owner, acreage held, county in which held and capital value] Published: (1879)