Report of the Board Appointed to Inquire into the Question of the Treatment of Habitual Drunkards : with appendices and synopsis of evidence
|Corporate Author:||Victoria. Board Appointed to Inquire into the Question of the Treatment of Habitual Drunkards|
|Other Authors:||Zox, Ephraim Lamen, 1837-1899, Balfour, James, 1830-1913, Embling, William Henry, 1840-1912, Cook, James Newton Haxton Hume, 1866-1942, Maloney, William Robert Nuttall, 1854-1940, Christopherson, John Arnold, Callanan, Michael, 1830-1920, Smith, John Stevens|
Melbourne : Robt. S. Brain, Government Printer, 1899
|Parliamentary Paper Number:||
Parliamentary paper (Victoria. Parliament) ;
1899-1900, no. 49
GP V 1899-1900 no. 49 (1.2 MB)
"Presented to both Houses of Parliament by His Excellency's command"
Board comprised: Ephraim Zox (Chairman), James Balfour, William Henry Embling, J. Hume Cook and William Maloney.
Report was signed subject to dissent by W. Maloney
Witnesses examined: James V. McCreery (inspector of asylums/supt. Kew Asylum), William L. Watkins (medical supt. Yarra Bend Asylum), James Evans (inspector-general of Prisons), Robert J. Burrowes (police magistrate), Rev. James Wolfenden, Dr. Andrew Shields (govt. medical officer), Francis J. Sincock (solicitor), James W. Hunt (chairman Victorian Alliance), Charles Henry Molloy (medical supt. Melbourne Hospital), Michael James Cody (governor Melbourne Gaol), Joseph A. Panton (metropolitan police magistrate), Frederick W. Bull (governor Pentridge Penal Establishment), John Francis Deegan (pres. Licensed Victuallers' Assoc. of Victoria), Herbert Henry Booth (commandant Salvation Army), Martin Hood (rep. Melbourne Benevolent Asylum), Emily Harcourt (prop. Inebriate Retreat Cheltenham), James Buchanan (ex-MLC), Daniel O'Reilly (chaplain to the Little Sisters of the Poor), Hickman Molesworth (chairman Metropolitan Licensing Bench), Archibald W. Smart (sr. landing surveyor Customs Dept.), Daniel Ferguson (chief inspector of Distilleries), Rev. Thos. Tait (Presbyterian Church Temperance Committee), Rev. Alexander R. Edgar (Wesleyan), Thomas Wardley (police constable) and Samuel J. Hallett (police constable)
Appendix A - C: letters to W. A. Robinson (sec. Habitual Drunkards Board) from John A. Christopherson, M. Callanan and John Stevens Smith (prop. Melbourne Seed Warehouse) concerning the suitability of French Island as an industrial colony for inebriates
36p. ; 32cm.
- Report from the Select Committee upon the Leongatha Labour Colony : together with the proceedings of the Committee, minutes of evidence, and appendices Published: (1900)
- Registrar-General's Office : report of the Board Appointed to Inquire into and Report upon the Registrar-General's Office in Relation to the Management, Distribution and Cancellation of Stamps etc., etc. : together with minutes of evidence, appendices etc., etc. : presented to both Houses of Parliament by His Excellency's command Published: (1889)
- Report of the Board Appointed by His Excellency the Governor in Council to Inquire into the Sludge Question : together with the minutes of evidence, notes by the Board, etc. Published: (1887)
- Minutes of evidence taken before the Royal Commission Appointed to Inquire into the Progress of Settlement Under the Land Act of 1869; Also to Suggest Such Amendments Therein as May Appear to be Necessary; And Further to Report Upon the Steps Necessary to Meet the Requirements of the Country on the Termination of the Pastoral Tenure at the Close of the Year 1880 Published: (1879)
- Royal Commission on Education : table of contents, index to analysis, index to and analysis of the general evidence, index of witnesses (general), index of subjects, index of questions (general), evidence in detail (general) from question 2106 to end (evidence in detail questions 1-2105 accompanied first report) : synopsis of evidence (religious), index of witnesses Part I. Religious instruction in state schools Part II. The alleged grievances of a portion of the population (religious), index of questions (religious), evidence in detail (religious) and appendices : being continuation of paper no. 47 Published: (1884)