Coalfields, Western Port : report of the Board
|Corporate Author:||Victoria. Western Port Coalfields Board|
|Other Authors:||Hodgkinson, Clement, 1818-1893, Smyth, R. Brough 1830-1889, Couchman, Thomas, 1831-1915, Krause, Ferdinand M., 1814-1918, Newbery, James Cosmo, 1843-1895, Darbyshire, George Christian, 1820-1898|
Melbourne : John Ferres, Government Printer, 1872
|Parliamentary Paper Number:||
Parliamentary paper (Victoria. Parliament) ;
1872, no. 19
GP V 1872 no. 19 (4.4 MB)
"Presented to both Houses of Parliament by His Excellency's command"
"6th April 1872"
The Board (also known as the Coal Commission) was appointed at some time between June 19th and October 16th 1871 to ascertain whether there was a sufficient supply of coal in the Westernport area to justify the Victorian colonial government building a light railway connection.
Board comprised: Clement Hodgkinson (Secretary Dept. of Crown Lands and Survey), R. Brough Smyth (Secretary Dept. of Mines) and Thomas Couchman (mining district surveyor)
Appendix A: Report to the Coalfields Board by Ferdinand M. Krause C.E., mining surveyor, concerning a geographical survey of the eastern district from the shore of Western Port Bay to the Tarwin River paying particular attention to coal bearing rocks
Appendix B: Minutes of Evidence (Witnesses examined): Timothy Edmund McCarthy, Thomas Bury, John Seddon (coal miner), George Christian Darbyshire (civil engineer & mining surveyor), Richard Feehan (owner Powlett station on River Powlett), Henry Levy (merchant Melbourne) and Nathaniel Levi (merchant)
Appendix C: Reports of the Government Analyst (J. Cosmo Newbery) on Rocks and Coals Collected at Cape Patterson
Appendix D: Memorandum of Instructions for the Guidance of Mr. Krause in Furnishing Plans and Sections of the Coal Seams at Western Port from R. Brough Smyth and Thomas Couchman
Appendix E: Letter From George C. Darbyshire clarifying some aspects of his testimony before the Coalfields Board
32p. : ill., maps, plans ; 35cm.
- Coalfields, Western Port : progress report of the Board Published: (1871)
- Geological Surveyor's report : (with plans and sections) Published: (1854)
- Victorian Coal Company : return to an order of the Legislative Assembly dated 30th April 1867, for - a copy of the conditions on which the Victorian Coal Company received the railway plant for making a railway at Cape Patterson and the amount of money had from Government for laying down the said railway, and moorings for vessels at a shipping place in that locality Published: (1867)
- Geological survey : report of the Geological Surveyor on the geological structure of the Colony of Victoria, the basin of the River Yarra and part of the northern, north eastern and eastern drainage of Western Port Bay : with plans and sections Published: (1856)
- Mr G. C. Darbyshire : correspondence relating to the resignation of Mr Darbyshire as Engineer-in-Chief of Victorian Railways Published: (1860)