Report from the Select Committee Upon Ballaarat [i.e. Ballarat] riots - Bentley's Hotel : together with the proceedings of Committee and minutes of evidence
|Corporate Author:||Victoria. Parliament. Legislative Assembly. Select Committee Upon Ballaarat Riots--Bentley's Hotel|
|Other Authors:||Humffray, John Basson, 1824-1891, Haines, William Clark, 1810-1866, Michie, Archibald Donnelly, Sir, 1813-1899, Ebden, Charles Hotson, 1811-1867, Greeves, Augustus Frederick Adolphus, 1805-1874, Horne, George Samuel Wegg, 1811?-1873, O'Shanassy, John, Sir, 1818-1883, Harker, George, 1816-1879, Campbell, Daniel Stodhart, 1812-1875, Wood, John Dennistoun, 1829-1914, Owens, John Downes, 1809?-1866|
Melbourne : John Ferres, Government Printer, 1858
|Parliamentary Paper Number:||
Parliamentary paper (Victoria. Parliament) ;
1857-58, D-No. 23
GP V 1857/58 no. D 23
"Ordered by the Legislative Assembly to be printed 1st June 1858"
On 23rd Dec. 1857 Mr. Hummfray moved that the Select Committee on the Ballaarat Riots be re-appointed to inquire into claims for compensation arising out of losses allegedly sustained in connection with the destruction of Bentley's Hotel Ballaarat - with power to take evidence and examine all books, petitions, reports or other documents in the custody of the Government
Committee comprised: John Humffray (Chairman), William Haines, Archibald Michie, Charles Ebden, Augustus Greeves, George Horne, John O'Shanassy, George Harker, Daniel Campbell, John Dennistoun Wood and Dr John Downes Owens.
Witnesses examined: Robert Rede (Resident Commissioner Gold Fields Ballarat Oct. 1854), Gilbert Andrew Amos, Charles Jeffreys [i.e. Jeffries] Carter (former sub-inspector of police), George Crossley Smith, Agnes Smith, Maurice Frederick Ximenes (former sup-inspector of police), Gordon Evans (inspector in charge of police Ballaarat district at time of riot) and Charles Dyte (auctioneer & commission agent Ballaarat)
Schedule A comprises a list of 11 claims for compensation for losses sustained in the Ballaarat Riot on 17th October 1854 from George Waterson, Augustus Miell, D[avid] and W. Wallace, Samuel Waldock, Henry Harris, E. F. [i.e. Edward Alexander] West, Charles Smith, Michael Walsh, Charles Dyte, G[eorge] C[rossley] Smith and Isaac Rigby
Schedule B comprises a list of creditors on Bentley's estate including the Bank of New South Wales, the Union Bank, Thomas Bath, F. E. Beaver MLA, Mark Folk and Isaac Lazarus, John Ettershank, Stephen Holgate, William Jaglestone, John Rutherford, James Tingeman, Charles Morgan, Patricius William Welch and Dr. Carr
Schedule E comprises a list of 8 servants' wages and moneys due on building contracts including Patrick Hanlon [i.e. Hanlan], Michael McDermott, Donald Ross, James Donnelly, Roderick Ross, Charles Smith, George Waterson and Isaac Rigby
Shedule D comprises claim by J. F. Bentley and wife for the sum of £29,750, being the ascertained value of the hotel, outbuildings and stock in trade, all of which were destroyed in the riot.
The Committee recommended payment or part payment of the claims of D. and W. Wallace and Michael Walsh only and opined that most remaining claims be disallowed. It did award £150.00 to Dr. Alfred Yates Carr (who had claimed £126 and 1000 guineas for professional services rendered by him to the wounded at the time of the Eureka Stockade riot and who subsequently himself came under the care of Robert Bowie, Surgeon Superintendent of the Yarra Bend Lunatic Asylum, who petitioned the Government on his behalf in September 1857)
x, 16p. ; 34cm.
- Claims for compensation for injuries and losses sustained during the Ballaarat [i.e. Ballarat] riots, with report of Commission thereon : return to address - Mr. Grant, December 7, 1855 Published: (1856)
- Report from the Select Committee of the Legislative Council on Ballaarat [i.e. Ballarat] Compensation, (Bentley's Hotel) : together with the proceedings of the Committee Published: (1856)
- Claims for compensation, Ballaarat [i.e. Ballarat] : copies of petitions from certain persons claiming compensation for losses occasioned by the riots at Ballaarat [i.e. Ballarat] Published: (1856)
- Riot at Ballaarat [i.e. Ballarat] : report of the Board appointed to enquire into circumstances connected with the late disturbance at Ballaarat [i.e. Ballarat] : together with evidence taken by the Board Published: (1854)
- First report from the Select Committee of the Legislative Council on the Ballaarat [i.e. Ballarat] outbreak petition : together with the proceedings of the Committee and appendix Published: (1856)