Select Committee on Gaming Licensing
Terms of Reference
On 14 February 2007 the Legislative Council agreed to the following Resolution:
1. A Select Committee of 7 Members be appointed to inquire into and report on —
a. the conduct, processes and circumstances (including but not limited to the probity thereof) pertaining to post-2008 public lotteries licensing in Victoria pursuant to the Gambling Regulation Act 2003 (the Act) and any related matter;
b. the conduct, processes and circumstances (including but not limited to the probity thereof) pertaining to the extension of Tattersall’s public lotteries licence until 30 June 2008;
c. the conduct, processes and circumstances (including but not limited to the probity thereof) pertaining to post-2012 Electronic Gaming Machine (EGM) operator licensing in Victoria pursuant to the Act, and any related matter;
d. the adequacy or otherwise of the legislative and regulatory framework pertaining to the number, location, distribution and specification of EGMs in Victoria and any related matter;
e. the effectiveness or otherwise of current measures to minimise and address the incidence of problem gambling in Victoria, the merits of alternative measures and any related matter;
f. the financial position of the Community Support Fund (the Fund) described in the Act, including, but not limited to:
i. payments into the Fund under section 10.3.2 of the Act (and its predecessors);
ii. payments from the Fund under section 10.3.3 of the Act (and its predecessors); and
iii. the criteria, processes and methodology for the selection of projects funded by payments referred to in sub-paragraph (ii) above; and
iv. the community benefit statements prepared by those venues not required to contribute to the Fund;
g. any other associated matters dealing with gaming licensing issues.
2. The Committee will consist of 2 Members from the Government Party nominated by the Leader of the Government, 2 Members from the Opposition nominated by the Leader of the Opposition, 1 Member from The Nationals nominated by the Leader of The Nationals, 1 Member from the Australian Greens nominated by the Australian Greens Whip and Mr. Peter Kavanagh, MLC from the Democratic Labor Party.
3. The Members will be appointed by lodgement of the names with the President by the persons referred to in paragraph (2) no later than 4.00 p.m. on Friday, 16 February 2007.
4. The first meeting of the Committee must be held no later than 4.00 p.m. on Monday, 26 February 2007.
5. The Committee may proceed to the despatch of business notwithstanding that all Members have not been appointed and notwithstanding any vacancy.
6. 4 Members of the Committee will constitute a quorum of the Committee.
7. The Chair of the Committee will be a non-Government Member and the Deputy Chair will be a Government Member.
8. The Committee will advertise its terms of reference and call for submissions and all such submissions received by the Committee will be treated as public documents unless the Committee otherwise orders.
9. The Committee may commission persons to investigate and report to the Committee on any aspects of its inquiry.
10. The Committee will present its final report to the Council no later than 28 February 2008.
11. The presentation of a report or interim report of the Committee will not be deemed to terminate the Committee’s appointment, powers or functions.
12. The foregoing provisions of this resolution, so far as they are inconsistent with the Standing Orders and Sessional Orders or practices of the Council will have effect notwithstanding anything contained in the Standing or Sessional Orders or practices of the Council.