Inquiry into Budget Estimates 2005-2006
During the period May to June, the Committee holds public hearings to scrutinise the expenditure and activities of 43 portfolios and the Parliamentary Departments.
All Ministers and senior departmental officers are invited to appear before the Committee and are questioned on the proposed expenditure of departments for the next financial year.
Before the Budget is brought down by the Treasurer, the Committee forwards a questionnaire to all departments seeking information to supplement the details that will be contained in the Budget Papers. This information is analysed and background briefing papers are prepared that form the basis for many of the questions raised at the hearings.
The evidence given at the public hearings is reviewed and, where the Committee considers necessary, further information is sought.
The Committee's objective in its scrutiny of the budget estimates is to:
- constructively contribute to improving the presentation of budget information, to the Parliament and the community of Victoria ;
- facilitate a greater understanding of the budget estimates;
- encourage clear, full and precise statements of the Government's objectives and planned budget outcomes; and
- encourage economical, efficient and effective administration.
The Committee's report on the budget estimates is usually tabled in the spring session – in September or October each year.
- Previous Inquiry into Budget Estimates (2004-2005)