Terms of Reference
On 10 November, 2016, the Legislative Council agreed to the following motion:
That, pursuant to Sessional Order 6, this House requires the Legal and Social Issues Committee to inquire into and report on, no later than Tuesday, 1 August 2017, issues at both Parkville and Malmsbury Youth Justice Centres including, but not limited to —
- matters relating to incidents including definitions, numbers and any changes to the reporting of incidents;
- the security and safety of staff, employees and young offenders at both facilities;
- reasons for, and effects of, the increase in the numbers of young people on remand in the last 10 years;
- implications of incarcerating young people who have significant exposure to trauma, alcohol and/or other drug misuse and/or the child protection system, or who have issues associated with mental health or intellectual functioning, in relation to—
- the likelihood of reoffending;
- the implications of separating young people from their communities and cultures;
- additional options for keeping young people out of youth justice centres;
- the culture, policies, practices and reporting of management at the centres;
- the role of the Department of Health and Human Services in overseeing practices at the centres; and
- any other issues the Committee consider relevant.
The reporting date for this inquiry has been extended to 27 February 2018.
- Last Updated: Tuesday, 22 August 2017 14:42