Terms of Reference
Received from the Legislative Assembly on 9 October 2008.
To inquire, consider and report to Parliament on the major issues relating to the production, processing and distribution of agricultural products in the interface municipalities and peri-urban areas of Melbourne. In particular, the Committee is requested to:
- Identify the types of agricultural sectors operating in interface municipalities and peri-urban areas;
- Examine the role of agribusiness in enhancing economic growth, increasing jobs and the sector’s contribution towards promoting healthy, sustainable and prosperous outer suburban areas;
- Investigate the role of planning in encouraging the development of agribusiness;
- Analyse the options for sustainable food production, including environmental stewardship and local food production;
- Investigate impediments faced by the industry to its long term growth and sustainability and recommend options to resolve these barriers;
- Highlight niche and well performing sectors operating in the interface of Melbourne, with particular reference to viticulture, horticulture and sustainable agriculture;
- Examine exemplary programs supported by governments (at all levels), the private sector and non-government organisations, which assist the sustainability of the agribusiness sector; and
- Investigate national and international initiatives relevant to these issues.
- Created: Monday, 05 October 2009 13:45
- Last Updated: Wednesday, 05 May 2010 13:43