Inquiry into the Increase in Victoria’s Road Toll
Terms of Reference
On 5 June 2019, the Legislative Council agreed to the following motion:
That this House requires the Economy and Infrastructure Committee to inquire into, consider and report, no later than 1 December 2019, on the increase in the Victorian road toll in 2019, including but not limited to, an examination of the —
(1) current Victorian Towards Zero Road Safety Strategy 2016-2020 and progress towards its aim of a 20 per cent reduction in fatalities with 200 or less lives lost annually by 2020;
(2) adequacy and scope of the current driver drug and alcohol testing regime;
(3) adequacy of current speed enforcement measures and speed management policies;
(4) adequacy of current response to smart phone use, including the use of technology to reduce the impact of smart phone use on driver distraction;
(5) measures to improve the affordability of newer vehicles incorporating driver assist technologies;
(6) adequacy of current road standards and the road asset maintenance regime;
(7) adequacy of driver training programs and related funding structures such as the L2P program; and
(8) adequacy and accuracy of road collision data collection — put and agreed to.
* The reporting date for this inquiry has been changed to 31 March 2021.