Inquiry into Community Energy Projects
Terms of Reference
Received from the Legislative Assembly on 23 June 2016:
To the Economic, Education, Jobs and Skills Committee, for consideration and report no later than 1 July 2017*, into supporting the role of communities in the Victorian energy economy and, in undertaking the inquiry, the Committee should
- look at the potential role of co-operatives, mutuals, social enterprises and community ownership in the energy sector;
- investigate the benefits of community owned energy programs;
- investigate the best ways to encourage the uptake of community energy projects;
- investigate the ability to expand community energy projects outside of solar and wind power;
- review the best practice models of other Australian and international jurisdictions for supporting community ownership options in the energy sector;
- investigate the challenges to community energy projects in metropolitan areas; and
- investigate ways to support communities to surmount challenges to community owned energy in metropolitan areas.
* the reporting date was extended to 31 October 2017 by resolution of the Legislative Assembly on 20 June 2017.