Inquiry into Fuel Prices in Regional Victoria
Terms of Reference
Received from the Legislative Council on 14 September 2016:
That, pursuant to section 36 of the Parliamentary Committees Act 2003, this House requires the Economic, Education, Jobs and Skills Committee to inquire into, consider and report on, no later than 1 October 2017, fuel prices in regional Victoria including, but not limited to —
- examining pricing methodology for unleaded, diesel and LPG fuels in regional Victoria;
- examination of why significant pricing discrepancies occur in some regional communities when compared to metropolitan areas and many other regional communities;
- consideration of best practice approaches and initiatives in other Australian states and territories, with a view of reducing fuel prices;
- examining technology and tools that may enable motorists to compare fuel prices;
- considering the experience and pricing impact upon families, businesses and industry; and
- examining regulatory and legislative barriers that may influence fuel prices.
* the reporting date was extended to 31 March 2018 by resolution of the Legislative Council on 6 September 2017.