RE-MEMBER (FORMER MEMBERS)
William Edward Stanbridge
- 01 December 1817 (Astley, Warwickshire, England)
- 05 April 1894
- Edward and Ann, nee Crofts
Religion: Church of England
Marital Status: 1877, Florence Colles; 1d.
Pastoralist and mining investor
Arrived Port Phillip Nov 1841; to Broken River 1842; Mount Gambier 1846; Avoca 1847; to Daylesford soon after and purchased first the Holcombe run, then Wombat 1851-1852 and settled there. Discovery of gold on the property resulted in the Spring Creek diggings and royalties from various companies brought him wealth. Prominent in founding of Daylesford which was surveyed 1854, and the borough proclaimed 1859. Owned other property in Vic. and NSW. Founded Florence Stanbridge Scholarship, Trinity Coll, and was member College Council; ; member Church of England Assembly.Member first council and first chairman. Daylesford. Councillor 1868-1874, 1880-1892, mayor 1882-1883
|Legislative Council||North Western||1 December 1881||1 November 1882||By-election|
|Legislative Council||North Central||1 November 1882||1 August 1892|
*The Start date for Members elected after 1900 is the date they were elected. The start date for pre-1900 Members is the date they were sworn in.
References: Billis, R. V. and Kenyon, A. S., 'Pastoral Pioneers of Port Phillip', Melbourne, 1932; Sutherland, A. et al, 'Victoria and its Metropolis', 2 vols, Melbourne, 1888; Burke's Colonialgentry; Argus, 6 Apr 1894; Daylesford Advertiser, 7 Apr 1894
Data Source: Thomson, K & Serle, G, 'A Biographical Register of the Victorian Legislature 1851-1900', ANU Press, 1972
Image Note: 'W. E. Stanbridge' by T. F. Chuck, part of "The explorers and early colonists of Victoria", 1872. State Library of Victoria H5056/576.
Last updated: 6th June 2019