Ministers & Members Search - THE HON. MICHAEL O'BRIEN (MALVERN)
The Hon. Michael O'Brien (Leader of the Opposition)
- Shadow Minister for Small Business
Leader of the Opposition
Leader of the Liberal Party
- Liberal Party
- Legislative Assembly
- Street Address
- 313-315 Waverley Road, Malvern East, VIC 3145
- (03) 9576 1850
- The Hon. Michael Anthony O'Brien
- Married, two children.
- Birth Country
- Hon. Life Member and past President, Melbourne University Liberal Club
Carlton Football Club
Kew Golf Club
Melbourne Cricket Club
Victoria Racing Club
East Melbourne RSL Sub-Branch Inc.
Malvern Historical Society Inc.
- VCE 1989 (Marcellin College). LLB(Hons), BCom (Melb). Barrister and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Victoria and the High Court of Australia 1998. Roll of Counsel of the Victorian Bar 2004.
Articled Clerk, Molomby & Molomby 1997. Lawyer, Deacons 1998-99. Legal Counsel and Senior Adviser to the Federal Treasurer 1999-2004. Barrister, Victorian Bar since 2004. Memberships: Victorian Bar; Trustee, Alfred Deakin Lecture Trust;
- Parliamentary Service
Elected MLA for Malvern November 2006
Re-elected November 2010, November 2014
Shadow Minister for Gaming December 2006-December 2010
Shadow Minister for Consumer Affairs August 2007-December 2010
Shadow Minister for Energy and Resources, Shadow Minister for Exports and Trade and Shadow Minister for Infrastructure and Public Private Partnerships November 2009-December 2010
Shadow Treasurer since 17 December 2014
Minister for Gaming, Minister for Consumer Affairs, and Minister for Energy and Resources December 2010-March 2013
Treasurer March 2013-December 2014
- Shadow Treasurer December 2014 - December 2018
Shadow Minister for Small Business since December 2018
- Parliamentary Party Positions
- Leader of the Opposition since December 2018
Leader of the Liberal Party since December 2018
- Party Positions
- Member, Liberal Party since 1989. Delegate to State Council 1995, 1997-99, and since 2001. Member, Policy Assembly 1997-2000, 2006-07. Pres., Boroondara Branch 2001-05. Chairman, Policy Assembly Steering Cttee 2006-07. Member, Constitutional Cttee 2003-07. Various branch offices held.
- Inaugural Speech
Last updated: 14th March 2019