- Daily Calendar
- How a Law is Made
- The Parliamentary System
- The Parliament Organisation
- The Parliament Building
- People in ParliamentPeople in Parliament
- International Relations
- Historical Information
- On This Day
- Parliamentary Internship Program
- Parliamentary Library Fellowship
RE-MEMBER (FORMER MEMBERS)
- 09 August 1862 (Ballarat West, Victoria)
- 01 November 1945
- Robert, machinery merchant, and Elizabeth Band, both b. Scotland
- 25 Dec 1889 Kate Sampson; 4s. 1d.
- Supported family after father's death by working as apprentice coach painter, Phoenix Foundry, Ballarat; established own coach painting business; storekeeper Jeparit from 1893, also agent for H. V. McKay's harvester firm and Wilson & Bolton, stock and station agents; purchased 640-acre farm near Jeparit, leased it, sold 1912 and moved to Melbourne; statistical officer and tariff reviser BHP 1926-1945; member Council of Agric. Education 1917-1945, chairman 1932-1934; member Aust. Industries Protection League 1935-1945; JP; president Menzies Boys Home, Frankston; many Jeparit activities including trustee and lay preacher Jeparit Methodist Church. Brother of Hugh Menzies (q.v.). Father of Sir Robert Menzies (q.v.). Brother-in-law of Sydney Sampson MHR Wimmera 1906-1919. Dimboola shire councillor 1898-1912, president 1901-1902, 1911-1912
- Liberal Party
|Legislative Assembly||Lowan||November 1911||September 1920||Defeated|
*The Start date for Members elected after 1900 is the date they were elected. The start date for pre-1900 Members is the date they were sworn in.
- Inaugural Speech
- Other seats contested
- Lowan (b/e) 1906, 1921, 1924
- Housing committee 1913-1914, 1914-1918. Vaccination committee 1912-1914. Public Accounts committee 1914-1920. Railways standing committee 1917-1920.
- Age, Argus 2 Nov 1945; Hazelhurst, C., 'Menzies Observed', Sydney, 1979; Perkins, K. S., 'Menzies: Last of the Queen's Men', Adelaide, 1968.
- Initial Data Source
- Browne, G, 'Biographical Register of the Victorian Parliament 1900-84', 1985
Last updated: 16th May 2016