- Daily Calendar
- How a Law is Made
- The Parliamentary System
- The Parliament Organisation
- The Parliament Building
- People in ParliamentPeople in Parliament
- International Relations
- Historical Information
- On This Day
- Parliamentary Internship Program
- Parliamentary Library Fellowship
RE-MEMBER (FORMER MEMBERS)
William James Beckett
- 10 June 1870 (Prahran, Victoria)
- 07 May 1965
- Samuel, cab proprietor, b. Ireland, and Margaret Cameron, b. Scotland
- 22 Feb 1893 Alice Maud Street; 1s. 1d.
- Furniture dealer
- State and private schools.
- Second-hand furniture dealer with brother Henry at Fitzroy; from c1930 lived St Kilda; member St Kilda Foreshore committee; CBE 1953; owner-breeder of racehorses and trotters; chairman Vic. Trotting and Racing Association 30 years; president Ascot (later Melbourne) Racing Club; trustee Victoria Amateur Turf Club 19 years; Freemason. Fitzroy city councillor 1914-1932, mayor 1921-1922, 1925-1926
- Australian Labor Party
- Party Note
- Legislative Council leader 1937-1943, unofficial Legislative Council leader from 1943. Associated with John Wren.
|Legislative Council||Melbourne North||September 1914||May 1931||Defeated|
|Legislative Council||Melbourne East||June 1934||June 1940|
|Legislative Council||Melbourne||June 1940||June 1952|
*The Start date for Members elected after 1900 is the date they were elected. The start date for pre-1900 Members is the date they were sworn in.
- Inaugural Speech
- Minister without Portfolio July 1924-Nov 1924, Minister of Forests and of Public Health May 1927-Nov 1928, Dec 1929-June 1931.
- Australian Dictionary of Biography, 7
- Initial Data Source
- Browne, G, 'Biographical Register of the Victorian Parliament 1900-84', 1985
Last updated: 16th May 2016