Contents and News
Created: Friday, 18 June 2010 14:43
Last Updated: Friday, 18 June 2010 14:52
An important aspect of the Committee’s work is to follow up on matters raised by the Auditor-General in various reports to the Parliament. The Auditor-General’s reports draw Parliament’s attention to financial concerns or issues relating to any public sector agency. The Committee can follow up these matters by virtue of its powers to hold public hearings and take evidence. In this way, matters raised by the Auditor-General are put under the microscope for the benefit of the Parliament and the community.
Under its functions and powers set out in sections 14 and 33 of the Parliamentary Committees Act 2003, the Public Accounts and Estimates Committee has been following up audit reports tabled in Parliament by the Auditor-General every six months. The Committee prioritises these reports using various criteria including consideration of seriousness of impacts or implications of audit findings, public interest, risks, social impacts, criticality and unresolved disputes, materiality and opportunities to enhance accountability.
The Committee has resolved to retain a broad scope for its terms of reference, that is, to review any aspects of the findings and recommendations contained within those reports.
Hearings and Transcripts
Created: Thursday, 06 May 2010 13:14
Last Updated: Thursday, 12 August 2010 13:57
Review of Reports tabled between July 2008 and December 2008
The Committee is currently conducting a review of the findings of the Auditor-General reports tabled between July and December 2008. The Committee has prioritised the following reports for review and public hearings::
- Managing Acute Patient Flows (November 2008); and
- BioSecurity Incidents: Planning and Risk Management for Livestock Disease (November 2008);
The Committee is also reviewing without public hearings, the following reports:
- Private Practice Arrangements in Health Services (October 2008);
- Managing Complaints Against Ticket Inspectors (July 2008);
- Enforcement of Planning Permits (November 2008); and
- School Buildings: Planning, Maintenance and Renewal (November 2008).
Public Hearing Schedule 2010
Wednesday 28 April 2010
9.30am-11.30am BioSecurity Incidents: Planning and Risk Management for Livestock DiseasesManaging Acute Patient Flows
Witnesses: Mr Des Pearson, Auditor-General; Mr Andrew Greaves, Assistant Auditor-General, Performance Audit; Mr Chris Sheard, Director, Performance Audit
Organisation: Victorian Auditor-General's Office - Transcript (113.85 Kb)
1.00pm-3.00pm BioSecurity Incidents: Planning and Risk Management for Livestock Diseases
Witnesses: Mr Richard Bolt, Secretary; Dr Hugh Millar, Executive Director, BioSecurity Victoria, Agriculture & Fisheries Group; Dr Malcolm Ramsay, Principal Vet Officer for Exotic Diseases, BioSecurity Victoria, Agriculture & Fisheries Group; Ms Donna Kennedy, Senior Business Analyst, Budget Strategy
Organisation: Department of Primary Industries - Transcript (115.00 Kb)
3.00pm-5.00pm Managing Acute Patient Flows
Witnesses: Ms Fran Thorn, Secretary; Mr Lance Wallace, Executive Director, Hospital and Health Service Performance; Ms Frances Diver, Director, Performance, Acute Programs and Rural Health
Organisation: Department of Health - Transcript (88.00 Kb)
Review of Reports tabled between February 2008 and June 2009
The Committee conducted a review of findings of the Auditor-General reports tabled between February 2008 and June 2008. The Committee prioritised the following reports for review and public hearings:
- Planning for Water Infrastructure in Victoria (April 2008); and
- Patient Safety in Public Hospitals (May 2008).
The Committee also reviewed without public hearings, the following reports:
- Records Management in the Victorian Public Sector (March 2008);
- Delivering HealthSMART – Victoria’s whole-of-health ICT strategy (April 2008);
- Victoria’s Planning Framework for Land Use and Development (May 2008);
- Coordinating Services and Initiatives for Aboriginal People (June 2008); and
- Implementation of the Criminal Justice Enhancement Program (June 2008).
Public Hearings - 23 September 2009
Review of Reports tabled between September 2007 and February 2008
The Committee conducted a review of the findings of the following Auditor-General reports tabled between September 2007 and February 2008:
- Program for Students with Disabilities: Program Accountability (September 2007);
- Improving our Schools: Monitoring and Support (October 2007);
- Funding and Delivery of Two Freeway Upgrade Projects (December 2007); and
- Agriculture Research Investment, Monitoring and Review (February 2008).
Public Hearings - 29 April 2009