Re-Member (Former Members)
John Francis Deegan
- 02 December 1845 (Dublin)
- 29 January 1906 (Melbourne Boroondara cemetery)
- Patrick, merchant, and Jane Reid
- 22 Nov 1869 Ellen Leeson; 3s. 3d.
- Wine merchant
- Arrived Vic. in the Una 1853; with father's business at Clunes; bought land at Creswick; to Melbourne 1873, joined McGee and Co., wine and spirit merchants, became a partner in the firm; quit McGee and Company c1893 and spent a year in England; returned to become manager of Shepherd and Co., wine merchants, until 1899; president Licensed Victuallers Association 1901; founding member Melbourne Beefsteak Club; a founder and honorary secretary Melbourne Shakespeare Society; delivered lectures on the liquor trade in Vic. and New Zealand during 1902; contributor to Argus and drama critic for Australasian. Uncle of T. R. Ashworth (q.v.).;
- Liberal Party
- East Melbourne
- 1st Jul 1901
- 1st Sep 1902
*The Start date for Members elected after 1900 is the date they were elected. The start date for pre-1900 Members is the date they were sworn in.
- Did not return from New Zealand in time to re-nominate.
- Author of Chronicles of the Melbourne Beefsteak Club 1890, The Liquor Traffic, Prohibition, Fallacies and Failures 1903
- Argus 30 Jan 1906; Aust. Brewers Journal 20 Feb 1906; Aust. Vigneron 28 Feb 1906
- Initial Data Source
- Browne, G, 'Biographical Register of the Victorian Parliament 1900-84', 1985
- Last Update
- Array (last date the record was checked and updated)