Inquiry into the supply and use of methamphetamines, particularly ‘ice’, in Victoria
Terms of Reference
Received from the Legislative Assembly on the 3rd of September 2013:
That, under s 33 of the Parliamentary Committees Act 2003, an inquiry into the supply and use of methamphetamines, particularly ice, in Victoria be referred to the Law Reform, Drugs and Crime Prevention Committee for consideration and report no later than 31 August 2014 and, in particular, the Committee is required to:
- examine the channels of supply of methamphetamine including direct importation and local manufacture of final product and raw constituent chemical precursors and ingredients;
- examine the supply and distribution of methamphetamine and links to organised crime organisations including outlaw motorcycle gangs;
- examine the nature, prevalence and culture of methamphetamine use in Victoria, particularly amongst young people, indigenous people and those who live in rural areas;
- examine the links between methamphetamine use and crime, in particular crimes against the person;
- examine the short and long term consequences of methamphetamine use;
- examine the relationship of methamphetamine use to other forms of illicit and licit substances;
- review the adequacy of past and existing state and federal strategies for dealing with methamphetamine use;
- consider best practice strategies to address methamphetamine use and associated crime, including regulatory, law enforcement, education and treatment responses (particularly for groups outlined above).
For further details, contact the Committee Secretariat.