Terms of Reference
Referred to the Committee from the Legislative Assembly on 3 June 2003 -
For Inquiry, consideration and report by 31 March 2004 on sustainable urban design for new communities in outer suburban areas and, in conducting the Inquiry, the committee is to:
- Identify the current practice of urgan design for new communities and articulate the potential contribution of urban design to sustainability objectives;
- Examine best practice urban design in urban development projects by state agencies;
- Examine and report on the relationship and opportunities in the achievement of urban design objectives between the public and private domains;
- Investigate the potential effectiveness of the Pride of Place program in the achievement of sustainable urban design for new communities; and
- Investigatge the contribution of key elements of urban design to the achievement of greenhouse strategy and Melbourne 2030 objectives, including:
- water sensitive design;
- provision of public open space;
- road safety;
- public safety;
- reduced car dependency; and
- physical and social well-being.
Following requests for an extension in the Inquiry reporting date, the Committee is now due to report to the Parliament on 30 September 2004.
Last Updated on Friday, 25 June 2010