Terms of Reference
Referred to the Committee from the Legislative Assembly on 3 June 2003 -
For Inquiry, consideration and report by 31 March 2004 on sustainable urban design for new communities in outer suburban areas and, in conducting the Inquiry, the committee is to:
- Identify the current practice of urgan design for new communities and articulate the potential contribution of urban design to sustainability objectives;
- Examine best practice urban design in urban development projects by state agencies;
- Examine and report on the relationship and opportunities in the achievement of urban design objectives between the public and private domains;
- Investigate the potential effectiveness of the Pride of Place program in the achievement of sustainable urban design for new communities; and
- Investigatge the contribution of key elements of urban design to the achievement of greenhouse strategy and Melbourne 2030 objectives, including:
- water sensitive design;
- provision of public open space;
- road safety;
- public safety;
- reduced car dependency; and
- physical and social well-being.
Following requests for an extension in the Inquiry reporting date, the Committee is now due to report to the Parliament on 30 September 2004.
- Last Updated: Friday, 25 June 2010 16:09